Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Year Ago Today

 A year ago today, we found out that we would finally be able to take our sweet baby Ryder home from the hospital the next day.  It was the light at the end of the tunnel that we had been waiting for but it also seemed too good to be true.  I can honestly say the ten days he was in the NICU were the absolute hardest days of my life.  The first time I saw him in his isolette with cords hooked up to him and an IV in his tiny hand, I started crying because he was so little and helpless.  I hated being seperated from my baby and only getting to hold him twice a day for a couple minutes.  All I wanted to do was to be his mommy, hold him, and tell him I loved him and everything was going to be alright. I was constantly worried he didn't know who I was. An already hard situation was made extremely frustrating because the doctors and nurses at the NICU treated Kevin and me so rudely.  It was like pulling teeth to get any information out of them on how Ryder was doing.  The nurse that was assigned to Ryder for the majority of his stay in the hospital always treated us as if we were in her way and a nuisance for coming to visit our baby every chance we could.  It was a very emotional period that's for sure.  My heart goes out to parents who have babies in the hospital for much more serious reasons and much longer stays.  What a difference a year makes!  I can hold and kiss my big one year old whenever I want and I will never take that for granted!
 
 
Finally going home!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I totally know how you felt! It was so hard when Lincoln was in the NICU. I'm glad that both are babies are healthy and home now!

C*K*J said...

Look how tiny he was?! Wow... the difference a year makes! :)