Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Something On My Mind- President Boyd K. Packer's Recent Talk

In general conference this past weekend, President Boyd K. Packer gave an awesome, straightforward talk reiterating the LDS church's stance on a couple subjects, namely same sex marriage. There wasn't anything new being said; in the LDS church we have always believed this way. However, it's like a bomb was dropped. I have been disgusted and saddened in the days following conference to hear so many negative, hateful, and downright ignorant comments in reference to President Packer's talk. There is a huge misconception about the LDS church- that we hate homosexuals/lesbians/bisexuals and believe God does too. This couldn't be more wrong! It is quite the opposite. We love everyone no matter what kind of life they have lived. Heavenly Father has no boundaries on his love for all. He wants us all to be happy, and true, eternal happiness comes from following Him. "Behold, I say unto you, wickedness never was happiness." -Alma 41:10.

Satan has an evil counterfeit for all things righteous. Do we hate homosexuals, NO. Is practicing homosexuality wrong, YES. It always has been, always will be. Nothing will change that. It takes a great amount of humility and strength to know and admit when you are wrong, and even more to change your ways and repent. It can be done however. It is never too late. Heavenly Father will ALWAYS be waiting with open arms to welcome us back when we have made mistakes, no matter how big they may be. I know this is true from personal experience.

I thought of a scripture when i was listening to President Packer's talk. It is 1 Nephi 16:1-4,
"1. And now it came to pass that after I, Nephi, had made an end of speaking to my brethren, behold they said unto me: Thou hast declared unto us hard things, more than we are able to bear.
2. And it came to pass that I said unto them that I knew that I had spoken hard things against the wicked, according to the truth; and the righteous have I justified, and testified that they should be lifted up at the last day; wherefore, the guilty taketh the truth to be hard, for it cutteth them to the very center.
3. And now my brethren, if ye were righteous and were willing to hearken to the truth, and give heed unto it, that ye might walk uprightly before God, then ye would not murmur because of the truth, and say: Thou speakest hard things against us.
4. And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did exhort my brethren, with all diligence, to keep the commandments of the Lord.
"

It is so true! Another scripture that fits, Moroni 9: 4,
"Behold, I am laboring with them continually; and when I speak the word of God with sharpness they tremble and anger against me; and when I use no sharpness they harden their hearts against it; wherefore, I fear lest the Spirit of the Lord hath ceased striving with them."

I know many people that are homosexual. They are GOOD people. I love them. The Church loves them. Heavenly Father loves them! That does not mean we agree with their lifestyle though. I'm not writing this to offend anyone, but just as those opposing President Packer's talk have every right to voice their opinions and beliefs, I am expressing mine. Romans 1:16, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

I really like what one person said about the situation,
"It is becoming increasingly clear to me that we can no longer afford to be fence-sitters when it comes to the things of righteousness. We can’t afford to have one foot in Babylon and the other foot in the Kingdom of God. The gap between “the world” and God’s standards of morality is widening. We must choose whose side we are on – the Lord’s side or on Lucifer’s side. We can choose to follow God’s prophets or not. It is becoming increasingly black and white to me."

How true that is in these last days! I am proud and blessed beyond words to have the true and restored gospel in my life. I know President Monson is a prophet called by God in these latter days to lead and guide us. I know the apostles are called by God and that they teach the truth with compassion and love. I love the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! I have been blessed beyond measure from being a member of this, the true church. I cannot even begin to express my love for my Savior, Jesus Chrtist. He has always been there for me, no matter how disobedient, rebellious, or how far off the path I have been. He is there for each and every one of us, and always will be, NO MATTER WHAT. We live in troubling times, and I am so thankful for the truth that i have to guide me through the "dark mists" on my path back to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

*I don't know if anyone will even read this. If you read some of this, or maybe even the entire thing, WOW, thank you! I just really needed to express my thoughts. I know not everyone may like what i have written, but please, no hateful comments!*

**To listen to Boyd K. Packer's talk, click here, scroll down to the Sunday Morning Session and there you will find his name and the mp3 link. You can also learn more about our church and beliefs by going here or here**

4 comments:

Rashell Nelson said...

Amy I love you! well said!

cassie said...

yes very well said. i think its time we all stood up for what we believe in. its funny how those of us standing up for what is right are looked at as the "bad" people. and so many of us are embarrassed to say anything. you are a rock star girl!

The Enoch Family said...

You are great. I think a lot of people have these thoughts, but don't always take the time to express them. If we all took more time to express our thoughts/beliefs, the fight wouldn't be a fight it would be a victory.

Amy said...

Amen Nichole!